companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Mexican Breakfast Bowls

I have a dilemma. I love savory, hot breakfasts. I also love staying warm under the covers as long as possible. That usually translates in my hot breakfast being coffee. The Diner system saves me with breakfast casseroles that I can zap in the microwave. This is a little like that, but more of a stacked bowl breakfast entree. The layers of yumminess are different from most of my casseroles. But they are alike in that these can be assembled and baked in advance.

Want to know more about Diner cooking? We just released the 2014 Diner News Bundle on our website. If you don't have that year, you can now order all 12 issues delivered in one easy download.  http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html

This bowl recipe has a Mexican flair. Quite yummy, but you could leave out the south of the border flavors. The base is spiralized turnips. Since I don't like cleaning my spiralizer much, I did enough at one time to make quite a few of these breakfast bowls. I am either lazy or smart. Or both.

Taco seasoning is sprinkled on the turnips. That takes care of the turnipy taste. A splash of salsa is a treat. The cheese packs a punch with some jalapeno flavoring too. And then, there are the avocado chunks. I love 'em. Hubster, not so much. Do what ya wanna do.

Mexican Breakfast Bowls

4 small turnips
1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
4 Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedges (jalapeno and cheddar flavor)
4 tbsp salsa
4 eggs
4 tsp crumbled bacon bits
1/2 avocado, cut into chunks

Trim and peel the turnips. Using a spiral cutter of any sort, spiral cut the turnips. Alternately, julienne them. Spread the turnips on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt. Bake for 10 minutes at 325 degrees. (more or less depending on the size of the cut) 

Remove from oven and divide the turnip shreds among 4 ovenproof bowls. Place a cheese wedge in each bowl. (You may chop it if you like) Add a tablespoon of salsa to each bowl. Break an egg into each bowl and top with a tsp of pre-cooked bacon bits.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is done to your liking. Top with cubed avocado and serve.

Serves 4:  172 calories  6 net g carbs



With these already made up, hot breakfast is a cinch. I even took one to school and heated in the microwave. It was yummy. The turnip was mild and the layering of the Mexican flavors was wonderful. Play with the recipe and make it your way. There are many flavors of Laughing Cow Cheese to play with--and the less expensive Aldi version works well also.





Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful use of turnips. I think the taco seasoning is a great way to use them. I have used them in pot roast but find the flavor just a little "off" personally. Maybe the taco seasoning and cooking them before adding to the bowl will improve the flavor. I will be trying this soon. I really miss hash browns.

Tina said...

Try chopped fried cauliflower with taco seasoning and maybe onion in place of the turnips.