companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Guajillo Beef

Still loving my guajillo chile powder I ordered online. That has been a while, but it is still full of flavor. Unusual, not your grocery store variety.  This recipe would work with the standard stuff, but guajillo takes it up a notch.

The great thing about this recipe, which is a cousin to my Southwestern Beef, is that it can go in the crockpot, cook for just aw hours, then get used as a Triple Play Meal for all sorts of things! To make it extra easy and quicker to cook, I used Carne Picada. Instead of cooking a whole roast then shredding, the meat is pretty much shredded going in. (remember my issues with cutting raw meat--love that this is done for me)

The other thing that adds a depth of flavor to this dish, is that it is braised in coffee. Make a little more than you usually drink in the morning, and use it to add to the beef. Mmm. Even though my husband does not like hot and spicy and disdains coffee, I still think he would like it. I planned it, though for those of us in the house who appreciate the heat. John got a new chicken salad recipe, which he though was a casserole in his lunch. Oblivious to the salad concept, he nuked it at work. Oops. He still ate it. What a guy. I wonder what that tasted like? I am featuring that recipe later this week. My taste of it was delish. I will recommend it be served cold, however.

The beef is spicy and full of flavor. I left out the cheese and didn't even miss it.

Guajillo Beef

1 1/2 to 2 lbs Carne Picada (or stew meat)
3 tbsp Guajillo chile powder
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Mexican oregano
3/4 cup brewed coffee

Place beef in the crockpot. Sprinkle the spices over the meat. Pour in the coffee. Cook on high for 3 hours. Drain all but a few tablespoons of liquid. Stir the cooked beef to distribute flavors. Divide into meal sized servings. Possible uses: salads, filling for mini peppers, in lettuce leaves, with scrambled eggs, in quiches, as filling for crepes or in low carb tortillas.

I love mini bell peppers. They are fun to fill with all sorts of delicious stuff! Eating this at work will make everyone who has a sandwich jealous. I took my photo catching up on some work at my desk. Not the best lighting, but life as it really is.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe. It sounds like something unique that my family would like. I pinned it.

Dash Interiors said...

Got to love low carb! Excited to follower :). Your blog is fantastic! Happy to know you and follow along with whatever other great things you come up with. Keep up the great work sista!
xox
Ash@ABpetite
http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This sounds most intriguing, Lisa. Can't wait to make a batch!