companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ham Salad in Everything Egg Crepes


Looking for a way to use up the leftover ham from Easter? These make a yummy lunch. Actually at my house, it is even using up extra colored eggs. My guys are not big fans of hard boiled eggs. They wouldn't even eat the gorgeous marbled eggs I made for the April Diner News. Because of their hard boiled aversion, our clan colors raw eggs at Easter. So far we have no little ones to break the eggs. Yes, you would assume that since we are all adults, the egg dyeing would have ended. Nope. Most of us have an artsy or at least crafty side, and we love our annual eggfest. Because we can easily color 5 dozen eggs, we keep them raw. That makes them more versatile. My mom still can't believe how many eggs my family can go through each week. With scrambles, quiches, muffins and breads, pancakes and crepes...we go through them. Even if none of the 5 dozen are hard boiled! This is also a great time for me to make several breakfast casseroles for the freezer. Those usually take at last a dozen. The good news is that dyed raw eggs perform just the same as their white or brown counterparts. No tint gets into the inside, so all is good.  My job is hard in one way--having to choose to which of our little masterpieces to break!

The wrap here was an experiment. I usually make coconut flour crepes. This time I tried a combo of almond flour and coconut flour. It worked about the same. Most of the texture still comes from the eggs themselves, so they are nothing like a wrap or tortilla. They do the same job however, if you are willing to eat with a fork instead of your fingers. They really are not quite firm enough to handle as a sandwich.

My filling today was diced ham mixed with some red onion, jack cheese, celery and mayo. No secret recipe there. Sugarfree pickle relish would be good, but I was out.

Now the crepe. I tried to make these more interesting and make them akin to an everything bagel. To the batter I added seeds and onion flakes. Sounded interesting, but I really couldn't taste them too much. You could add them or leave them out, with very similar results, I am sure. We really wanted the flavor from the ham and cheese.

Everything Crepes


5 eggs
3 tbsp almond flour
1 tsp coconut flour
1 tsp dehydrated onion flakes
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp course ground pepper
Coconut oil for frying


Break eggs into a medium bowl. Beat with a fork. Add in almond flour, coconut flour, onion flakes, seeds, salt and pepper. Stir well. making sure coconut flour is well blended. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Tilt the skillet to help the batter make a thin layer covering the bottom. Keep the mixture thin or the crepe will be more like a pancake. Cook for a minute or two until the top loses the shine. Carefully flip the crepe to cook the other side. Makes 4-6 crepes, depending on the size of the pan.

If your skillet is large enough, these are big enough to wrap burrito style, tucking the bottom of the crepe under the sides. That makes them a little neater, but smaller is fine too simply rolled. Crepes are delicious filled with all kinds of goodies. They make a great way to use up leftovers too, Easter or not!

6 comments:

j3nn said...

I like the way the ham salad looks! We had salmon this Easter, so no leftover ham. :(

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

I enjoy savory crepes too. Hope your Easter was wonderful.

Chelle B said...

This sounds very interesting. I would like to give this a try sometime. Ham is something we have in our fridge all the time. My guys love it. I've made crepes once before and think I could handle making them again.

Anonymous said...

Interesting recipe, but for low-carb wraps I've settled on Mission's Carb Control tortillas. Virtually indestinguishable from a flour tortilla, and only 6 g net carbs each.

Lisa Marshall said...

Low carb wraps are fine if you don't mind the gluten. We avoid that as much as possible for my youngest son's IBS issues. I have used them in the past as well as Joseph's Lavash Bread.

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!