companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, January 16, 2012

Real Chocolate Almond Cake Balls

For those of you who, upon my suggestions, did go get yourself a cake pop maker, I present another recipe with grand results. This weekend, I had a special tea party to attend. More on that on Thursday, since it featured a Low Carbing Among Friends recipe made by my friend NeeCee.  I started by baking my Snow Capped Chocolate Muffins to take along, this time to be topped with luxurious whipped cream. While I had the batter ready, I decided to try out the recipe to see how it worked as a cake ball. They were great! Perfect little spheres, with a great consistency. I cannot believe how easy this is.

Just fill the cavities a little over the top and bake 5-7 minutes. Perfection first try. On my way out the door to the party, I threw the cake balls into a baggie and put them in the freezer. Gotta say that was a great idea. To make a good for you, super easy glaze, just grab your coconut oil. I use equal portions of coconut oil and cocoa powder melted together and sweetened. Sorry, I did not measure the sweetener, but since everyone's tastes are different, just adjust to you preference. I used liquid stevia, but powdered sweeteners would work well too. Granular erythritol has a little bit of a tough time dissolving, and may stay a little gritty. You probably know your sweetener pretty well by now, so do your own thing there.

Be sure to have the coconut oil melted. With the frozen cake balls, it will easily harden on the ball, forming a wonderful glaze with a slight crunch when you bite. Think chocolate dipped ice cream cones type crunch. As long as the cake balls are cool, these will not make a mess in your hands. I dipped mine twice, then rolled in crushed sliced almonds. The flavors go so well together.  Real chocolate, plus almonds. Yum.

The recipe is here in the archives, but I will post it with changes for cake balls for ya. Loving that these are best served cold. Why? It is not necessary, but keeping them in the freezer will help me with portion control. These are a perfect dessert size for those of us who only want a small indulgence. Just give me the strength to just eat one...or two...

Real Chocolate Almond Cake Balls


2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup Swerve or other erythritol blend
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 stick butter
1 square unsweetened chocolate

Glaze:

3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/8 cup slivered almonds


In a large bowl, combine almond flour, erythritol, baking powder and salt. In  a microwave safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate. To the hot mixture, add eggs, one at a time. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Spoon batter into the cavities of a cake pop baker, filling over the top. Bake 5-7 minutes. Remove and let cool. If using a coconut oil glaze, freeze cake balls before dipping.

12 servings plain:   212 calories     2 g fiber    3 g net carbs      20 g fat    6 g protein

With Glaze:  249 calories     3 g fiber      3 g net carbs   24 g fat      7 g protein

I am seeing these as a fun Valentine treat too. Any ideas on how to make a pink glaze? Maybe pink sprinkles will do. That I can do.


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

8 comments:

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

I have the stuff to make these but no cake pop maker. Darn! I'm drooling. You make some truly amazing looking things.

Lisa Marshall said...

These are good in the original way as muffins too. Thanks for the comment, we bloggers love to hear good things. It makes it worth the photo session to hear that you like it!

Retta said...

How's about sweetened melted coconut oil and a tiny amount of natural red food coloring? I did a product review for some I really like, here: http://lorettasjourney.blogspot.com/2011/12/dec-15th-colorful-friday-favorites.html
And/or turn some unsweetened coconut flakes pink with it also, and roll them in it after the dip in coconut oil?

I agree with Kelly, the photos are scrumptious. :-)

Unknown said...

These are absolutely yummy - thanks! Gave me an excuse to get another kitchen gadget : D (like I needed an excuse!)

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this recipe. I tried another low carb cake pop recipe last night and they were too eggy.

My husbands family comes over to stay the night often and they sometimes bring home donuts and its torture for my husband and I to watch them eat it while we can't have any.

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you grind freeze dried strawberries into a fine powder and mix it with the coconut oil for a pink glaze

@KetoLeah said...

If using a silicone cake ball pan in the oven, we cooked at 325F for 17 minutes for the perfect consistency (in case anyone else is using a regular oven!) :)

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!