companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Moroccan Red Pepper Salad

This is a salad I made last year, especially pretty for Valentine's Day. Last February's Diner News was devoted to special Valentine dishes, and this beauty fit the bill. All those gorgeous red bell peppers offer a wonderful sweet taste too. The spices are so different from the usual fare--they make this a really unique salad. It is definitely a star attraction on a menu, able to stand out with a steak or grilled breast of chicken.

Cumin lovers will be really attracted to this salad, too. It is so flavorful; it needs very little dressing. Being featured in wintertime, I used jarred roasted bell peppers, but you can roast your own from fresh if desired. If you are serving it for a special Valentine dinner, go ahead and peel the cucumber, and the salad will be mostly red. I was serving this for our family friends who came over for dinner and a game night. I wasn't trying to make a pretty table, since we had to clear everything off to play games anyway. It is just as delicious with the green left on the cucumber, so all was good. I am not even a huge cucumber fan, but I like this. Of course, it helps that I love red bell peppers.

So if you don't have last February's Diner News, here is the recipe. We are working on the bundles for past years Diner News, so be watching for them to be available to download soon



Moroccan Red Bell Pepper Salad


12 ounce jar roasted red bell peppers
1 cucumber
1 roma tomato, diced
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
1/4 teaspoon cumin
3 Tablespoons feta cheese
Salt and pepper

Chop bell peppers into bite sized pieces. Add all remaining ingredients to a bowl. Toss to blend flavors. Serve at room temperature.

Serves 6 100 calories 7 carbs 6 g fat 3 g protein



If you are eating dairy free, this is almost as good without the feta cheese. You can also add just a sprinkle of powdered ginger if you don't have fresh. When I had the problem finding kale, the stores also seemed to have a problem stocking ginger. I got just about a pinky toe worth, and all that went in a stir fry. Yes, the cashier did laugh when I bought 14 cents worth of ginger. But then, my assortment of groceries has been know to bewilder cashiers before. Do you ever get odd comments? I do on occasion. Maybe that is the best way to spread the word about healthier choices. I do know I sometimes want to cry when I see what people load into their carts. One time I even held a nutritional intervention with the dairy guy at the grocery store. Let's just keep eating healthy and spread the word.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

5 comments:

Fleur said...

This looks yummy, I love red peppers.

Kathy Hall said...

I have a group of people who are on my "low carb e-mail list" that I send articles and recipes to. It includes people who ask me why I'm buying 10 bags of almond flour at Trader Joe's as well as the person at the Blood Drive who asked me why I wouldn't have the cookies and juice after giving blood. I seem to add people all the time. When I offered my landscaper some almond meal cookies he asked me if they were low carb and was so excited to find they were. He has been low carb for a long time and you can imagine how great he looked with all that exercise and low carb too! Even my very overweight OB Dr. asked to be on the list.

Lisa Marshall said...

Kathy, I love stories like that! Wishing I had a Trader Joes, too. Lucky you!

Ginny said...

Looks wonderful Lisa! I love the spices.

Blogger said...

With bistroMD you will know that not only will you eat tasty meals, but that every meal and each in bistroMD's weight loss programs is balanced to bistroMD's specific nutritional platform to help promote an healthy diet.

STEP 1 - Select one of the weight loss plans for 5 to 7 days of meals.
STEP 2 - Review your menu in advance and select the meals you desire for each day and week.
STEP 3 - Order your diet plan online.
STEP 4 - Your entrees are delivered to your door.

ORDER NOW - home delivery.