companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Home Made Chicken Chorizo


I like the flavors of chorizo sausage, but I have had a hard time finding it without starchy fillers. I tried one recipe for the home made variety. Maybe because I used all chicken, it was too strongly flavored--perhaps the chicken is blander than pork? It had lots of potential, so I adjusted the seasonings for the second batch. This is an improvement, methinks.

I made some into patties for quick meals. Ground chicken is my latest food obsession. The rest I dry fried crumbled to add to salads, omelets and quick egg muffins. Yum.

Here's what I did:

Home Made Chicken Chorizo

1 1/2 - 2 pounds chicken breast meat or ground chicken
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Trim chicken of fat and grind it in a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to incorporate. Form into patties and brown or crumble and fry to use in recipes.


My youngest son has been having more IBS issues lately, and I have been very busy researching diet programs for his treatment. We are about to embark on an eating plan for him which is very similar to the low carb plan we follow for my hubby's diabetes. That should be interesting, and ought to make cooking even more challenging that it already is. I will probably be sharing some of our new recipes with you here. Many of my e-book recipes will be legal for him to eat, and the rest can use minor modifications.

It is amazing how many ailments can be treated through diet. Makes it rather scary that so many people leave their nutritional plans to drive throughs and what is cheapest at the grocery store. Doctors don't seem to be much help either, as they always seem to prefer whipping out the prescription pad. I think they assume people will not follow a plan--that it is too hard. We are living proof, however, that if you develop a system, all you have to do is keep working it, and you won't relapse back the the SAD. John had a doctor visit yesterday, and while all his numbers are not back yet, they were delighted with his overall health.

1 comment:

Katie from Unbreaded said...

I could kiss you! I appreciate the ease of the turkey burgers I make, but I need some more spice in my life. I LOVE chorizo and would love to make it myself. This is exactly what I needed.