companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pineapple Meatballs


You can tell I have my new bottle of Pineapple DaVinci Syrup now, because I keep coming up with ways to use it. It has gone into home made Greek yogurt,Pina Colada Muffins, Pineapple Dipping Sauce and now, my Pineapple Meatballs. This flavor is very versatile.

The sauce is tart and sweet, very similar to a regular sweet and sour sauce. Unlike other sauces, it is very diabetic friendly. Sorry, no new recipe tonight. The "how to" is already in the ebook. You will find it with the Mega Meatballs recipe in the Freezer Favorites section. If you miss a good Chinese buffet, this is just what you need. Be sure to make the extra meatballs for the freezer, because you will have about two cups of sauce. Of course, it is also good with chicken or pork, especially fried. But then, that is a lot more trouble, and as you know the point of the Diner system is to spend less time in the kitchen. Still, if you have a free afternoon, this sauce would be awesome coating fried chicken.

Keep this idea handy if you plan to have any holiday parties. These meatballs could easily be made in a cocktail size and kept warm in a small crock pot or chafing dish. You might even like a little touch of hot sauce added in.

I tried a new recipe I found online today for coconut flour crackers. Not so good. They had cheese in them, but the cheese did not incorporate well into the dough. When I baked them, little balls of cheese erupted all over the top. They looked rather diseased, as if they had blisters. Guess what? I am not publishing that recipe! Once I got past the appearance, they failed the taste test too. They seemed quite thin, about as thin as I make the Almond Thins which I dearly love, but they stayed rather chewy. I am just not a fan. Somehow, though, I will find a way for us to eat them. They are too expensive to let go to waste. I am thinking about giving them a whirl in the bullet and using them to top a casserole. Frugal. I know.

No comments: