companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Coney Dog Casserole


The All American Coney Dog. It was my craving when I was expecting my first son. I have always loved them. Now that we low carb, I often serve them as an E.Z. Fix meal with the dogs topped with Great Value chili dog sauce. That claims 19 servings at 2 carbs. We get about six servings a can, sometimes just four, so add the carbs accordingly. If you eat this casserole with the whole can added, just add in 38 carbs divided by the number of servings you get. This is very filling and rich, so we can easily get 6 servings even with hungry boys. That is still just 8.5 carbs per serving. A bit higher than most casseroles I make, but a green salad is really all you need with this one!

The recipe which inspired this treat came from Linda Sue's wonderful site of recipes. Her version is here. Linda's doesn't use the chili dog sauce, but the topping is very similar; I just used a bit less cheese and no onion.

Coney Dog Casserole

6 Oscar Mayer wieners (or other franks at one carb)
1 pound Minute Beef, thawed
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 can Great Value Chili Dog sauce
6 ounces shredded cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup cream

Cut wieners into bite size pieces and place in the base of a casserole dish. Add the Minute Beef and top both meats with mustard and onion powder. Top with half of the cheese. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add mayonnaise until well blended, then add in cream. Pour this mixture over the meat. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes.


This is yummy stuff. True, it is a bit processed food heavy, but some times you just need some comfort food! I know I need some today. It looks like several of the classes I was hired to teach aren't going to meet their enrollment quota, and I will not be having those anticipated paychecks this fall. I have other friends who have lost jobs as well. Scary times economically; we just have to trust the One in charge. Of course, it wouldn't hurt if a few more cookbook customers come my way...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do you put the can of chili sauce in?

Roniquilts2 said...

Sorry, I'm new to your blog, but what is Minute Beef?

Cindy & Jim said...

I googled minute beef and it brought up minute steak. I wonder if that's what is meant?

Deuce D said...

From their Facebook page, a user left a comment "Okay, after looking further into Lisa's reference to "Minute Beef", it's what she says is ground beef that is pre-browned and then frozen. That's why it's minute beef, it's already pre-browned and will cook up quicker! So, just go ahead and use ground beef (or ground turkey). "

Hope this helps you!

cb2manor said...

I think I'm going to make this soon! The cream in the recipe, is that Heavy Whipping Cream or Sour Cream? Thanks!