companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Drinkable Yogurt on the Go


They say the drinkable yogurts in those cute little bottles are a trend that is here to stay. I have been making my own yogurt, even the drinkable kind, for a while now. It is handy when you don't have a spoon, or want to take it along for the drive. Or when everyone else is drinking milkshakes from Sonic. I have incorporated a few ideas to make yogurt smoothies even better for your health. These home made drinks are much cheaper than the store brands too. Plus, you can make your favorite flavors.

I use the yogurt fresh from the culturing process. Homemade yogurt tends to be a little thinner than store bought variety. After setting some aside to drink, I drain the rest to make thicker, Greek style yogurt for spoon eating, or drain it even longer for yo cheese. For the drinkable variety, I thin it, flavor it and pack it for later.

One trick I have used to make the yogurt healthier is to use the powdered vitamin supplements intended for water bottles. There are several brands available which are sugarfree. In my cupboard I happen to have Fulfill, which adds one additional carb and uses part aspartame, and Vita Splash, which adds three carbs, but is sweetened with sucralose. Unfortunately, I haven't found any that are unsweetened. These add some flavor, so taste as you go. It really depends on how much yogurt you are sweetening, and which flavors you choose to use. Each tube of vitamin mix is meant to be added to one water bottle, but with yogurt, the mileage may vary.

If you don't like any artificial sweeteners, you can still make drinkable yogurt. Thin your yogurt of choice if you use store brands. If you get unflavored, just add the flavors and sweetener of your own choosing. I sweeten it and add coffee flavoring drops or DaVinci syrups. The Capella Boston Cream Pie is delicious. It is also especially yummy to blend in strawberries or other fruits, or to add a fruit puree.

Now, what to pack it in? I have saved old mustard jars that are just right. They hold just over 4 ounces, and have openings that are easy to fill. I can travel with the lid on, then remove it and pop in a straw in the car or at my desk. In the photo, the jar is decorated with glass etching and polka dots. That is a craft project I am testing for Christmas. Just so you know, the yogurt does not have the measles!

One of these will go with me out tomorrow. Now, I am off to finish up the meatloaf and broccoli salad for tonight's dinner. It smells fabulous in here!

3 comments:

Loretta said...

What an adorable idea for those little jars! You are so creative. :-)

Anonymous said...

How do you thin your yogurt, what do you put in it to thin it?

Thanks
Joanne

Lisa Marshall said...

I have always just used water, although you could go with a nut milk or coconut milk.