companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, January 5, 2009

Breakfast Our Way

A dear friend and newbie to the LC lifestyle asked for some help with breakfast ideas--something easy and yummy while the kids are still getting pancakes.

The best way to explain how we do it is just to give you an example from my menu this week.

This morning we had orange Jello muffins baked over the weekend. I made a quick precooked sausage patty to go with the muffin. We will have these again on Wednesday morning.

Tuesday out our house is a multiply meals brunch. I have some Three Little Pigs casserole frozen in individual servings in the freezer. That is one of our favorites.

Thursday is an easy fix meal. I have planned bacon omelets. To make these super quick, I use the precooked bacon crumbles. A little goes a long way. I have even found these at the dollar store and Big Lots--name brand! Scrambles--eggs with bits of leftover meats and cheeses tossed in--make great quick breakfasts too. They can even be microwaved.

Friday, I'm on the run for co-op, so it is Pepper Jacks, those delicious cups of egg and green chilis. These are prepped in advance too, and can be held in the hand while I am driving.

Saturday will be made to order protein shakes. We usually have them once a week. I use the low carb Body Fortress powder from Walmart. My standard recipe is:

1 scoop protein powder
3/4 cup water
1/8 cup cream
1 ounce cream cheese
5-6 ice cubes
sweetener to taste, or combo of DaVinci syrup or other flavorings
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum

I whirl it all up with my hand blender and drink from the same plastic cup. Sometimes, I make two in a larger cup, then pour the thick shake into goblets for a pretty presentation. It is up to you if you want beautiful food or fewer dishes to wash. I always start with vanilla as a base and add to it. Our favorites are strawberry cheesecake, caramel, coffee, pumpkin pie and chocolate almond.

This week, we are trying out the DaVinci peanut butter flavoring, so I think Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup shakes are on the menu.

Sunday, we can pack up those last muffins and enjoy them with a hot coffee or tea at church. That way we can skip the doughnuts.

In other weeks, I have frozen low carb waffles, breakfast meatballs, or custards on the menu. Lots of people like leftovers from the night before. I'm not a great cook in the morning, so all my planning is a huge pay-off. The 24/7 system calls for a brunch and muffin dish to be made on prep day. That way, weekday mornings are effortless.

1 comment:

Peculiar Blogs said...

Okay, I went shopping yesterday and got all my stuff for my first set of meals! I am so excited. We are having our cooking day on Monday. Thanks again for all the great recipes!